Cover Letter

December 19, 2011

Dear Reader,

This blog is devoted to analyzing and providing information on George Cary Eggleston’s short story ‘The Canoe Fight’. It was created for my Introduction to Literary Study (ENG170W) course, and as a result there are quite a few posts unrelated to the story underneath this one.

Many of the pages have been edited from various assignments throughout the semester, while others are completely new. Throughout this process, I found that I wrote quite a bit on the background information and the setting of Eggleston’s story, which I feel is necessary due to the central conflict. I also found more significance in the relationship between the Native American and white characters as opposed to the more physical battle the story centers on.

I believe that I have become more knowledgeable in the field of literary criticism due to this course and the process of creating this blog. I am now able to find meaning in a work and able to back up my theory with others. While I once might have said that ‘The Canoe Fight’ was about a battle, I can now make a more educated statement (which you will find under ‘Analysis’).

I am still limited, however. I’m not an expert on literary theory, so my statements are somewhat amateurish. This blog was not created by an expert, so please take everything I say with a grain of salt!

That being said, thank you for taking the time to take a look around, and I hope you enjoy what you see!

One Response to “Cover Letter”

1.   Kevin L. Ferguson said:

Great website! I like that you take the story device of a “conflict” and use that to think about literary interpretation of the different kinds of thematic conflicts that occur. You do a good job with the Conference Presentation and Analysis pages to reinforce your claims with evidence from the text; I think that kind of close reading and attention to word choice will be a very helpful technique for you in interpreting literature. I also think the page on discussion questions is a great idea.